Because they are often a tool, the hands are often the first line of defence against accidents at work.
It is sometimes forgotten to mention that they may also be prone to longer-term illnesses, the signs of which may not appear for years.
Pain, clumsiness, stiffness, loss of muscular strength: these symptoms do not deceive. What are the different hand pathologies? How can they be treated and, above all, how can they be prevented?
What are the most common hand pathologies?
Musculoskeletal disorders (MSDs) of the hand are the most widespread hand pathology and the most frequent occupational disease. Moreover, nearly 45% of MSDs concern the wrist-hand area according to a study by the INRS.
The MSD family includes several diseases located in or around joints such as the wrists, elbows, shoulders, spine and knees. These are non-traumatic conditions that cause severe pain and long-term functional discomfort.
In addition, MSDs of the hand can be due to factors:
- Individual (age, health history, stress, etc)
- Professional (repetition of movements, bad posture, handling, etc)
- Environmental (cold, heat, vibrations, etc)
- Daily (sports practice, inappropriate positions, etc)
In the professional context, this type of pathology can be detrimental to an employee’s performance. In the long term, pain due to MSDs of the hand can become disabling and lead to work incapacity.
These hand conditions include diseases such as:
- Carpal tunnel syndrome;
- De Quervain’s tendonitis;
- Outer tendon injuries.
What are the treatment options?
The treatment of musculoskeletal disorders involves several methods of care including:
- Anti-inflammatory medication;
- Restriction of movement;
- Wearing an immobilisation splint;
- Stretching and flexibility exercises (specific to each type of MSD);
- Applying heat or cold.
In some cases, surgery is recommended to treat the hand.
However, the best way to avoid MSDs or to limit their effects is to adopt preventive actions on a daily basis.
On an individual level, this means adopting the right gestures to adopt a healthy lifestyle:
- A complete and balanced diet;
- Regular mobility and muscle maintenance;
- Adopting correct postures according to the tasks;
- A warm-up routine before each working day / stretching after each working day.
In the workplace, prevention of hand pathologies involves:
- Being aware of risk factors by auditing workstations and the tasks assigned to them.
- Identifying all risk factors within the work environment.
- Controlling the risks: reducing constraints, restructuring production, better equipping employees with appropriate PPE, adopting better medical monitoring, etc.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of the measures taken and readjust them if necessary.
- Organise seminars and training courses related to MSD prevention in companies in order to raise employees’ awareness.
Which ROSTAING gloves should I choose to prevent musculoskeletal disorders of the hand?
Here is a selection of gloves specially developed to prevent MSD and other hand pathologies:
For example, our PROTECT4SHOCK is a must-have glove to protect your employees’ hands from impact.
The PROTECT4SHOCK glove has a D3O® shock absorbing foam and a reinforced leather palm, making it suitable for intensive and repetitive work. The ergonomic reinforcement absorbs and dissipates impact energy.
In addition, the VIBRAPROTECT model, as its name suggests, is specifically designed to protect against vibrations from vibrating machines and tools in accordance with the EN ISO 10819 standard updated in 2019.
The glove is therefore particularly suitable for the construction/civil engineering sector when handling and using vibrating equipment such as drills and jackhammers.
The RESCUEPRO glove has been designed for intensive and sharp work in the world of construction and public works and has the highest levels of mechanical resistance.
This glove is standardised for its protection against shocks and impacts on the back of the hand.
The glove has been developed and tested by the Fire Service for extrication and clearing operations and is a guarantee of performance for all your operations.
Would you like to know more about our ranges of products designed to prevent MSDs?
Consult our 2022 catalogue to discover all our PPE protective gloves.
Would you like to place an order or become a ROSTAING retailer? Tell us about it on email@example.com
For any other question about our offer and our products, our product engineers are at your disposal: firstname.lastname@example.org